Monday, May 23, 2011

Wish: Battle-ready dwarven guardian

Rate:


Dedicated reader and guest submitter (1, 2) of this blog contacted me based on this article wishing for a battle-ready outfit for his dwarven guardian Dwalfor. He mentioned Dwalfor could use some woman touch, so I tried to give him some (metaphorically speaking, of course ;).

He had following requirements:
  • distinctive dwarven look (no elven pieces etc.)
  • battle-ready look, so chainmail/plate stuff over robes and fancy hats
  • pieces can come from all sources except BG, OD and Rift raid drops

Dwalfor also sent me a picture of his character at that moment, wearing Lossoth set dyed blue. As he didn't specify preferred colour in his requirements, I chose blue (navy in particular) as the dominant colour for the new outfit, because I knew he liked it on the previous outfit he's been wearing. I sent him the first design to check if I took the right direction:


He liked the chest piece and gloves, but wasn't sure about the rest. He thought the leggings made Dwalfor look fat, wanted to see more cloaks and asked about any helmet resembling Gimli's helm from the LoTR movies (not round on the top):


This was a very interesting challenge for me, as I always struggled with choosing a good helmet :) But I found something I really liked. This was my second design:



Dwalfor was very happy about this version. He liked the leggings, shoulders, cloak and helm and praised avoiding of Wood-Wanderer's Cloak which I also attempted to use (I sent him pictures of a few different pieces tried out and the composition above as my preferred one). The only thing left were the boots - they didn't match the colour of the rest of the outfit really well. So I changed them and sent the final design to Dwalfor:


As he was very satisfied with the result, we met ingame (we both play on EU-Snowbourn server) and I lent him all pieces except for the reputation cloak, to save some time crafting, and a while after he sent me pictures of him proudly posing in the new outfit.

I am very happy he liked my initial idea and he taught me a lot about dwarven outfitting (and I mean it)!

Please let us both know how do you like Dwalfor's final armour composition in the comments :)

Final result:
Chest: Chainmail Chestpiece of Fleetness, navy dye (world drop)
Legs: Steel Leggings, navy dye (T3 crafted)
Head: Gleaming Dwarf Mask, navy dye (world drop)
Shoulders: Mirrored Dwarf-Make Knight's Shoulder Guards, navy dye (T5 crafted)
Hands: Defender's Gloves, navy dye (T3 crafted)
Feet: Defender's Boots, navy dye (T3 crafted)
Back: Warden's Wrap, navy dye (Annuminas reputation barter)

3 comments:

  1. Great outfit! Very well done, the helmet is perfect for a dwarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely well done! I'll be keeping an eye out for those items as I think my next alt will be a dwarf. You seem to have left the chest piece of the list above, though. I'd appreciate it if you could identify it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks much for you kind words :) and lydia, thanks especially for noting the missing chest piece information, copy&paste sux sometimes... i added it :)

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...